Channel 5 was launched as Britain's fifth and final terrestrial broadcaster on the 31st March 1997.
In July 2010 the Channel 5 network was sold by long standing shareholder RTL to Northern & Shell.
Currently well over 30 million UK viewers watch Channel 5 any given week tuning in for programming as diverse as the CSI franchise, Extraordinary People, The Gadget Show, Big Brother, Home and Away and Neighbours, 5 News as well as the channel's award winning children's strand, Milkshake!
- Channel 5 is the fifth most popular channel in the UK, claiming a 4.2% share of viewing across the whole of 2012
- Year on year viewing to the channel was up amongst all viewers. In addition we grew the commercially attractive young and upmarket audiences
- In a typical month we reach 45 million people
- Channel 5 provides viewers with a varied mix of programming which includes entertainment, sport, documentaries, kids, drama, News and films.
- Our most popular commission in 2012 was Celebrity Big Brother, which reached an audience high of 3.9 million
- New programmers joining the commissioning slate across the year included Celebrity Wedding Planner, Benidorm ER, World Scariest, Cowboy Traders and Killers Behind Bars
- Channel 5 is also home to the biggest US dramas. As well as continuing with hit series such as CSI, NCIS and The Mentalist in the past year we have introduced UK audiences to new acquisitions such as Once Upon A Time, Body Of Proof, Person Of Interest and Dallas
Source: BARB, 2012